Supervises and coordinates activities of pantry, storeroom, and non-cooking kitchen workers, inspects kitchens and storerooms to ensure that premises and equipment are clean and in order, and that sufficient supplies are on hand to ensure efficient service. Coordinates work of non-cooking kitchen and storeroom workers engaged in activities, such as dishwashing, silver cleaning, and storage and distribution of foodstuffs and supplies Confers with Executive Chef and F&B Manager concerning banquet arrangements for food service, equipment, and extra labour.
- Communicates with restaurant managers for operating equipment requirements on a daily basis.
- Controls and approves the issuing of all operating equipment.
- Supervises at all times the effective running of the stewarding department.
- Compiles time schedules for his members of staff.
- Controls cleanliness of all the back of house areas and performs check rounds with the night cleaning supervisor every morning.
- Is entirely responsible for ordering and storage of all chemicals required.
- Is entirely responsible for the management of all waste and for the cleanliness of the loading area.
- Is instrumental in the maintenance of all operating equipment.
- Supervises the functions within his department.
- Attends F&B morning meetings.
- Monitors the performance of the key personnel within his department in relation to the job description and ensures that they are trained and developed further.
- Ensures that succession planning is carried out for all levels of staff in the stewarding department.
- Communicates with the Executive Chef on a weekly basis to review activities within the Stewarding department.
- Is responsible for the engagement of casual staff when required, including time keeping.
- At all times is entirely responsible for the control, storage, reordering and issuing of operating equipment stock.
- Ensures that correct working practices and health and safety regulations are followed at all times.
- At least five years’ experience in a similar position, preferably from a five star hotel establishment.
- Good knowledge of detergents and sanitation guidelines
- HACCP awareness.
- Ability to communicate with F&B and stewarding team
- Good supervisory skills
- Computer literate