JOB SUMMARY:To provide quality goods and services on time to all departments by appointing the best suppliers, after having thoroughly researched and investigated all factors in terms of quality, quantity, price, time and continuity, as well as providing an effective back-up service to deal with supplier problems.
- To be fully conversant with current market prices of all items required by the hotel departments.
- To select suppliers with great care by researching their background, establishing their credentials and their standing in the industry regarding their ability to match price and maintain deliveries.
- To visit suppliers’ premises so that the quality of their products can be verified, also gaining visual proof of their operating standards.
- To listen carefully to the sales person to glean as much information as possible, particularly with regard to new products. To ascertain the value of new products through quality testing and field trials.
- To raise Purchase Requisitions and Local Purchase Orders within the unit. To negotiate the terms of the agreement fairly, bearing in mind the price, quality and continuity of supply.
- To negotiate realistic discounts in terms of the above agreements.
- To maintain good interpersonal relations with suppliers, thus gaining the best possible service from them to the extent where they do a lot of the work for you.
- To ensure that dealings are made with a senior person in the organisation, i.e. one who has the ability to make decisions.
- To ensure that the correct numbers of suppliers are appointed, in that, though streamlined, sufficient options are open, whilst keeping the number of authorised items in check.
- To maintain up-to-date records of all suppliers, their products and price lists.
- To continuously review commodities and suppliers to ensure that the best possible agreements are in operation.
- To investigate supplier problems, take the appropriate action and follow up to ensure no similar problems are experienced.
- To investigate and action account queries promptly, when these are the result of price variances.
- To participate in the review and update company purchasing policies
- Diploma/Certificate in Purchasing & Supplies with 3+ years of progressive purchasing experience.
- Understanding of purchasing methods and procedures of a centralized purchasing function including buying and quality assurance.
- Conversant with commodity markets and price trends, various grades, qualities, and varieties of materials, supplies, and equipment.
- Ability to focus on departments needs, persuade, plan, organize and solve problems
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ethical practices and working with others both internally and externally to achieve the goals of the organization.