Are you passionate about the hospitality industry, working with people and providing exceptional customer experience? If you are looking for an exciting career in a dynamic, wholly Kenyan and growing hotel chain with a rich indigenous history and place in the tourism sector, then the Jacaranda Hotel Group is the place to be.
We are recruiting a Group Chief Executive (CEO) for Jacaranda Holdings Ltd that manages and operates the Jacaranda Hotel in Nairobi, Indian Ocean Beach Resort in Mombasa, Lake Elementaita in Naivasha and Village Inn in Kiambu. Jacaranda Holdings Limited is seeking an exceptional vibrant and energetic business leader with drive and focus to lead and manage the transformational change desired in the group.
Our commitment to friendly service delivery means that all of our actions and relationships are based on values of; Reliability, Hard Work, Professionalism, integrity, Respect and Embracing Change and the successful individual should strongly share, in his/her personal and professional life, these values.
The CEO will report to the Board of Directors who in turn report into the Njenga Karume Trust.
This is a high profile, challenging position in a highly specialized and competitive sector with local and international interfaces. Therefore strong business, management and interpersonal skills are essential. Practical relevant and adequate knowledge of managing a vibrant business in a competitive service industry is essential. Knowledge of the hotel and conferencing industry is desirable but not essential.
Jacaranda Holdings Ltd manages four properties which include the 128 room four star Jacaranda hotel in Nairobi, the 100 bed four star Indian Ocean Beach Resort in Mombasa, the 33 roomed Lake Elementaita Lodge in Naivasha and the Village Inn in Kiambu. Additional investments within the larger group of companies exist in Molo and Kiambu for takeover and a fifth hotel is planned in the Mara.
The successful candidate is expected to be not only PC literate but be a strong advocate as the Corporation’s lead agent, with a keenness for the use of technology to enhance and improve business operations. Previous experience, at a senior level, with large ICT projects such as ERP, SAP, SUN etc as well as ISO certification processes would be critical and of value.
The purpose of this position is to steer the group in realization of its vision and mission as defined by the Board and implement the Company’s strategic plan while maintaining a compliant, ethical and safe environment.
- Develop the Corporation’s strategic plans and ensure timely implementation;
- Formulate and oversee the implementation of major corporate policies;
- Grow and manage an efficient and profitable operation ensuring adequate return on investment to shareholders;
- Direct and coordinate the Company’s operations and overall administration so as to ensure that the various organs of the company operate in conformity with overall performance targets and ensure compliance with sector regulations;
- Develop international hotel & conferencing partnerships, affiliations and accreditations with international, regional and local networks;
- Develop linkages with international and local travel & hotelier associations and organizations;
- Develop and maintain a robust and conducive work environment for attracting and retaining the best staff available;
- Provide technical support and advice on strategic directions to the group and inspirational leadership to the staff for increased profitability;
- Ensure the protection and growth of the corporation’s assets;
- Responsible for overall day to day operations of the group;
The position of a CEO is a complex and highly demanding one that calls for multiple skills. A majority of the following competencies must be demonstrated a rigorous series of interviews by the successful candidate in past positions held;
- Vision - ability to create and communicate a compelling and inspired sense of core purpose based on a future and not current reality;
- Self-awareness – An understanding of one's reason for being i.e. purpose, cause and why;
- Communication skills – ability to communicate effectively the company’s cause to others and share the vision not only internally but also externally with the Board, the financial community, customers, suppliers and the community;
- Building an effective executive team - the ability to get a management team and different functional areas in concert motivated and working together to fulfill the vision;
- Business acumen - Knowledge about trends, practices, and policies affecting industry and business coupled with a firm understanding of competitors, customer focus and a good grasp of effective strategies and tactics that work in the marketplace, and be able to blend intuition with analytical skills;
- Financial acumen - must have solid financial acumen, such as understanding key leverage points in the Income Statement and the Balance Sheet as well as critical aspects of ensuring short-term cash flow and long-term profitability;
- Optimism – An indefatigable ability to control one's attitude and be realistically optimistic;
- Provocativeness – The ability to encourage dissension among key players that lead to better outcomes;
- Flexibility and risk handling –ability to respond quickly to changing conditions;
- Strategic thinking – ability to encourage strategic thinking and working on the right initiative that will provide lasting progress;
- Problem solving – ability to analyze issues and deal with critical issues while under pressure.
- Momentum consciousness – ability to sustain the momentum and have an eye on priorities.
- Culture - ability to create and maintain the desired culture and environment for a high work ethic;
- Use of current Best Practices - ability to capitalize on technology, outsourcing (e.g. managing remote work force, and social networks)coupled with ability to identify and use of resources such as specialists, consultants at the right time to help drive profitability.
- University Degree in any field preferably in Business Management, Administration, Finance, Engineering or Hospitality industry;
- 15 years experience in Senior Management level in a Commercial Business environment of substantial turnover per year with at least 5 years as CEO and/or Managing Director;
- High proficiency in desktop basic ICT computing i.e. word, excel, Power point etc is mandatory
- International business exposure/experience would be an added advantage
- Experience in ISO implementation is also an added advantage
A competitive package and an excellent opportunity for personal and professional growth is offered. If your career aspirations match this challenging and exciting roles, please write in confidence to:
Jacaranda Holdings Limited
P.O. Box 14287-00800 Nairobi
Complete applications should include a detailed CV with name, email contact, daytime telephone contact, details of current remuneration and addresses of 3 professional references. applications should be received no later than 7 March 2013.